Artworks have been added to favourites 24 times.
Today the collection of the Museum Ludwig includes the most significant trends of twentieth-century and contemporary art. The founding cadre of the collection was provided by the Cologne lawyer Josef Haubrich (1889–1961). In May 1946, directly following World War II, he donated to the City of Cologne his collection of Expressionist art (Erich Heckel, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, August Macke, Otto Mueller) and other works of Classical Modernism (Marc Chagall, Otto Dix). In October 1946 a selection of one hundred paintings was shown for the first time at the old University of Cologne. [source]