The Oratory of Saint Lawrence (Italian: Oratorio di San Lorenzo) is a Baroque oratory of Palermo. It is located near the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi, in the quarter of the Kalsa, within the historic centre of Palermo.
The oratory was founded in the late 16th century. The building was given to the Conventual Franciscans in order to spread the cult of the saints Francis and Lawrence. In 1699 Giacomo Serpotta realized a somptuous stucco decoration.
The oratory is particularly famous because of the masterpiece altarpiece Nativity with St. Francis and St. Lawrence (1600 or 1609) by Caravaggio. This important painting was stolen, probably by Cosa Nostra, on October 18, 1969. In 2015 a hi-tech replica of the altarpiece was placed inside the oratory. [source]