The National Palace Museum (NPM) houses a collection of ancient Chinese artifacts, some of which came from The Palace Museum and the preparatory department of the Nanjing Museum (previously the "National Central Museum"); those that came from The Palace Museum originated from the Qing Court, and those that came from the preparatory department of the Nanjing Museum primarily originated from the Institute for Exhibiting Antiquities, which was previously owned by the Jehol and Shenyang temporary palaces. This signifies that the NPM's current artifact collection contains Qing court artifacts from The Palace Museum, the Jehol temporary palace, and the Shenyang temporary palace.
The NPM's artifact collection comprised that inherited from the Song, Yuan, Ming, and Qing courts. The development of the NPM was closely tied with modern Chinese history: in late Oct. 1924, General Feng Yuxiang (1882–1948) launched the Beijing coup. On Nov. 4, regent Prime Minister Huang Fu passed the "Revision to the Conditions of Special Treatment of the Qing Royal Family" in a cabinet meeting, requesting that Emperor Puyi (1906–1967) eternally abolish the appellation of an emperor and that the Qing royal family leave the palace in one day. On the next day, Commissioner of Police Zhangbi and National Representative Li Yuying (1881–1973), accompanied by Gyeonggi Guard Commander Lu Zhonglin (1884–1966), visited the emperor's bedroom at the back of the Forbidden City and urged that the emperor abolish his appellation, surrender the Heirloom Seal of the Realm, and leave his palace. On Nov. 6, the Council of State established the Committee for the Disposition of the Qing Imperial Possessions, appointing Li Yuying as the chairman to check all Qing court artifacts with the assistance from Qing court-related professionals. To satisfy the public's wish to witness the magnificence of the NPM, the Committee for the Disposition of the Qing Imperial Possessions announced the "Provisional Guidelines for Visiting the National Palace Museum" on Apr. 12, 1925, opening the Imperial Garden, the Palace of Earthly Tranquility, the Hall of Union, the Palace of Heavenly Purity, the Palace of Great Virtue, the Palace of Brightness and Benevolence, the South Study Room, and the Upper Study Room (now the Central Road of the Shenyang Palace Museum) to the public to visit between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. On Sept. 29, the Committee for the Disposition of the Qing Imperial Possessions reached the resolution to emulate French and German royal museums by founding the NPM. The opening ceremony was held in the afternoon of Oct. 10, the National Day of the Republic of China. [source]