Portrait of Henry Walters1938
In this posthumous portrait the founder of the Walters Art Museum, Henry Walters (1848-1931), is shown with three objects from his collection: a Mosan enamel plaque of the 12th century (44.101), a Limoges enamel reliquary of the 13th century (44.288), and a German brass statuette of St. Sebastian of the early 16th century (53.34). Henry is shown wearing the same stick-pin decorated with a Carthaginian stater that appears in another posthumous portrait commissioned from Frank O. Salisbury (37.2000). This stick-pin is now in the museum's collection (59.699).
- H: 45 11/16 x W: 38 9/16 in. (116 x 98 cm)
- oil on canvas
- Courtesy of the Walters Art Museum
- For more: