San Giacomo dell'Orio

Museum (Italy)
  •   1,928 Artworks have been viewed 1,928 times.
  •   3 3 followers.
  •   6 6 artworks.
  •   3 3 artists.


The Chiesa di San Giacomo dall'Orio (or San Giacomo Apostolo - Saint James the Apostle) is a church located in the sestiere (quarter) of Santa Croce in Venice, northern Italy.

The origin of the church's name is unknown. Possibilities include being named after a laurel (lauro) that once stood nearby, a version of dal Rio ("of the river"), or once standing on an area of dried-up swamp (luprio). It was founded in the 9th century and rebuilt in 1225. The campanile dates from this period. There have been a number of rebuildings since that time (including a major renovation in 1532) and the ship's keel roof dates from the 14th century. Two of the columns were brought back from the Fourth Crusade, after the sacking of Constantinople.

San Giacomo dall'Orio is a parish church of the Vicariate of San Polo-Santa Croce-Dorsoduro. The other churches in the parish are the churches of San Stae and San Zan Degolà. [source]