Sotiris Sotiriou received a BA in Fine Arts from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 2004 under the supervision of the professor Yiannis Fokas and a MA in Graphic Design and Multimedia from Hellenic Open University, 2021.
Sotiris Sotiriou depicts everyday life through the reformation of images originating from the
supraliminal and subliminal stimuli present in his mundane life.
He consciously selects images in time and space, no matter how essential or unimportant, real or
virtual, original or common they are and he transfers them into his paintings, subconsciously mixing them with his memories and dreams to create the sense of the grotesque and the unknown.
Through the rendition of those new unfamiliar images, he awakes his own senses which have been obscured by routine and he emphasizes the concepts of daily life ideas.
His art moves between pop-art and neo-expressionism. He is interested in simplicity, the purity of colors and the pleasant feeling of form-and-color balance. Sotiriou likes contrasts: He is concerned about what is empty and what is full. A balance between the two is important to him.
- Group exhibition, “Darkness at the edge”, Propeller Art Gallery, Canada, 2013
- Cheapart Cyprus, “PENINDAPLINENA Contemporary Art Gallery”, Cyprus, 2013
- 18, Group exhibition, “CAMP: Contemporary Art Meeting Point”, Athens, 2012
- Image - Place - Action II, "Technopolis", Athens, Greece, 2008.
- Solo exhibition, Aristotle Campus Gallery, Thesaloniki, Greece, 2004
- 2nd Beijing International Art Biennale, Beijing, China 2005.
- Biennale of Young Artists, Crete, Greece (Award), 2002.
- Solo exhibition, Opus 39 Galley, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2001
- Group exhibition, "Cypriot Artists", “Melina Merkouri Hall”, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2000.
- Group exhibition, “Skali” Cultural Centre, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2000.
- Group exhibition, “Famagusta Gate”, Nicosia, Cyprus, 1995.
- Group exhibition, “Melina Merkouri Hall”, Nicosia, Cyprus, 1994.
- Group exhibition, "Earth-Venus Art Symposium", Famagusta Gate, Nicosia, Cyprus, 1994.
- Group exhibition, “Environment”, Opus Gallery, Nicosia, Cyprus, 1992.
- Group exhibition, “Philoxenia Congress Hall”, Nicosia, Cyprus, 1992.