Master of Alkmaar (16th century)
The Master of Alkmaar owes his name to a series of seven panels painted in 1504 that depict the Seven Works of Charity. These were commissioned by the Holy Spirit brotherhood for St Laurence's church in Alkmaar. The real identity of the work’s author is thought to be Cornelis Buys, who is in turn thought to have been a brother of the painter Jacob Cornelisz. van Oostsanen. Cornelis Buys worked in Alkmaar from 1490 to 1524.