The Raampoortje in Amsterdam1809
The 18th-century Raampoortje was part of Amsterdam’s city rampart near the Bloemgracht. The small gate gave access to the bleaching fields outside the city wall, where dyed cloth was laid out to dry on wooden frames, from which the Raampoortje (Frame Gate) got its name. Here we look from the bleaching fields past the houses on the Bloemgracht towards the cold and wintry city. The Westertoren rises in the distance. The gate was demolished in 1846.
- Courtesy of Rijksmuseum
- For more: