The Sabauda Gallery (Italian: Galleria Sabauda) is an art collection in Turin, Italy, which contains the royal art collections amassed by the House of Savoy over the centuries. It is located on Via XX September, 86.
The museum, whose first directors were Roberto and Massimo d'Azeglio, unites the art collection of Eugene of Savoy, acquired after his death by his cousin, the king of Sardinia, with the works from the Royal Palace of Turin, the picture gallery of the Savoy-Carignano, and the artworks from the Palazzo Durazzo of Genoa, acquired in 1824.
On October 2, 1832 (his birthday), King Charles Albert of Savoy inaugurated the royal gallery at the Palazzo Madama, containing 365 paintings. In 1865, Massimo d'Azeglio had the collection transferred to Guarino Guarini's Palazzo dell'Accademia delle Scienze (1679) where it stood until 2012, before it was moved to the current location.
On December 4, 2014, at the presence of the Italian Minister of Culture, the "Manica Nuova" of Palazzo Reale (New Wing of the Royal Palace) was official opened. The collection has now found its final place to be exhibited. The gallery is based on a brand new museum project conceived and developed by the superintendent Edith Gabrielli (for the scientific part) together with Studio Albini Associati (staging). The lighting is by CastagnaRavelli Studio, based in Milan, the graphic is by Noorda Design. [source]