‘Art students’ (2013), oil on linen, 28 x 42 inches2013
Portraits of Margaret Clark and John A. Walker as art students circa 1960 standing in front of the Hatton Gallery, The Quadrangle, Newcastle University campus, Newcastle upon Tyne. (They later married.) The Hatton was then attached to the King Edward VII School of Art, a fine art department of Kings College (then part of Durham University). The doors of the gallery - named in 1926 - are open and one can see one of the plaster casts of the classical statues that adorned the entrance hall. The building itself was designed by W. H. Knowles in a Tudor-inspired style circa 1913. A carved Royal Coat of Arms - a shield flanked by a Lion and Unicorn - is visible within the arched pediment.
- All rights reserved. Exhibited on USEUM with the permission of the rights owner.